The past few days I’ve been feeling like the world is burning to the ground. In the United States, women are having their rights taken away, elsewhere in the world, people are fleeing horrible situations only to be met with “you don’t belong here, either.”
There is so much trauma in the world right now. And, like many of my friends I’ve spoken to this week, I’m not handling it as well as I could be. It’s difficult to handle so much trauma and to not be filled with rage when people are making decisions for us that are not theirs to make.
Before I go any further, I’m not an expert. I’m not a counselor. I’m just one person on the internet struggling like everyone else right now. I just wanted to offer some tips on how to deal right now.
- First and foremost, find like-minded people and find your friends. Changes are, they’re struggling, too and need a place to talk.
- Engage in a hobby. I like to crochet or take photographs.
- Get out in nature. Even if it’s for a small time. Study a blade of grass, notice the colors around you.
- Take deep breaths. Breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, exhale for 5 seconds.
- Use your five senses to ground yourself. What do you see? What do you smell? Put your hand out and touch something. What does it feel like? What do you taste? What are you hearing. Name them all.
- Seek help. There is no shame in asking for help either by calling a help line or going into therapy. Lifeline is a good place to start: 1-800-273-8255 or https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/talk-to-someone-now/
Please don’t suffer alone. Please reach out and talk to someone.