I wrote the following editorial on traffic laws: post can be found here: Traffic laws
It became apparent today as I crossed the street (and almost got hit because the person turned left when I had the walking light without looking)…that now we all have to WALK defensively.
My words below:
- First and foremost, traffic laws exist for safety — not to annoy drivers.
- Blinkers exist to let drivers around you know you’re turning (so use them; they’re on the steering column).
- Red lights and stop signs mean stop (not “start tearing on past”).
- You must share the road with bicyclists and motorcyclists (they have just as much right to be there as passenger vehicles).
- Crosswalks exist so pedestrians can safely cross the street — and you must yield to them.
- Seatbelt usage is the law.
- A solid, double line on the road means it is not safe to pass (so just don’t do it, the life you save could be your own).
- Texting while driving is dangerous and even deadly — and against the law.
- Driving while intoxicated is a deadly combination — and is against the law.
- Traffic laws aren’t jokes. There is no destination that is so important that you risk your life or the life of someone else because you had to run that red light, or send that text, or fail to yield, or get into that vehicle intoxicated.
- Share the road. Obey traffic laws. Also drive defensively. Because no matter how careful you are, another driver may not be.